Needing Help Similar To A Previous One

Moderator: Mods

Loretta

Needing Help Similar To A Previous One

Post by Loretta »

Hello to everyone,
From what I have read, I tend to think my birds are ready to mate. My question is can they or will they go into their nesting box together and all these other things just to be doing them? I know that must sound crazy but I too am a new breeder. I have 2 blue ringnecks that I just bought at a local pet store and I was told that they are a couple but have not had them DNA tested for sex.

They are so close. They are in the nesting box now and when they are not in there, they are inseperable.

Can anyone help me in telling the age of the birds maybe by charachteristics etc.

I hope they are ready to breed and I tooo will have babies soon.

Loretta
Loretta

Post by Loretta »

I lifted the top of the nesting box and the one I believe to be the male became very angry and hissed at me and tried to peck me until I put the top back down and then they went about whatever they are doing. He acted so mean :evil:

They have been in there for about an hour now

Any coments?

Loretta
Jodie

unknown blue pair history bought from bird store

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It's real easy to identify a male. He will have a ring which is black and pink that will develop from what I read, 18 months. If your male does not have a ring, he is not sexually mature, meaning no babies. Males take longer to mature than females. They say it can be three years for a male and a year for females. However, most do not breed females until they are two (egg binding). The birds you purchased from the pet store should have given you more information on them. It sounds like they are bonded which is fine unless one of them is more aggressive towards the other. I would contact the place you bought them for additional information.
Jodie

attitude from birds

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I hate to break it to you, but if you want to breed birds, they are no longer pets. Sure you can talk to them and give them treats but don't expect more than that. Their nestbox is their safeplace, their hideout, so of course they are upset with you peeking in there. Normally the female is the more aggressive one but every now and then the male is more protective. Hope this helps!
Loretta

Post by Loretta »

Thank you the reply The two of them are bonding really well and they do allow us to play with them however; their box is off limits.

The one I believe to be the female has a ring but it is the shade of her feathers

I called the store and have been back quite often but there is noone who knows anything so I have turned to you guys for helps.

Loretta