Freighting a bird

Moderator: Mods

Clare

Freighting a bird

Post by Clare »

I am in Australia and have been searching my local area for an alexandrine but can't get one here. I noticed on Petlink that some breeders offer to freight birds. Does anyone know how this works. I keep thinking how lonely the bird would be and if it had to endure a long drive.
rowemob

Post by rowemob »

To freight a bird in Australia is easy although can be expensive. I have just had my new baby IRN freighted from Sydney to Alice Springs. The birds seem to travel well and the airport freight staff are good with getting them off the plane and into a stress free area as soon as possible ready for you to pick up. If the bird is travelling alone the cost rises compared to travelling as part of someones excess luggage. Just contact the seller and they will let you know the cost and any other questions you might have.
Good luck
Michelle :D
rowemob
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I just think of how scary it must be for the bird and how much care goes into freighting. I just think of watching the baggage handlers at the airport just throwing things into the cargo hold. :( If I ever move out of Melbourne, hopefully QLD in the next 5 years. I'm going to be driving with them by my side. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I have had some of my birds sent by air from adelaide and queensland. If it is done by Aust air express it is around $70.00. They get put into a special carrier by the breeder and have a big sticker on the box saying what it is eg fish,snakes, birds ect. Mine seemed quite fine with it all.