Bird Data Australia

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Bird Data Australia

Post by Lauren »

Found this fantastic site that gives you up to date data on where species of birds are in Aus! aand guess what? They've put 'feral' species on the list as well, including where some IRNs have been found!

http://www.birdata.com.au/homecontent.do

I also applied to volunteer with Birds Australia! So excited. Really want to do something for the birds out there. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Grats on the app, they are always on the lookout for help. I saw a large flock of green IRN's in Western Australia when I was little. Was quite a site.. then I saw a movie when I was a child about a recently migrated family, and their Australian born son who had a few IRN's and went to WA over a family property inheritance blah blah...

That is actually what made me fall in love with them in the first place.

IRN's have been in our wild for quite some time. Unfortunately... due to them being such hardy and adaptable birds... they can cause quite a situation in large flocks when it comes to farming heh :P

Beautiful sight to see though.

You will get just as much from helping almost any animal society here in Australia as you help them. Good to see people having or even wanting and trying to make an impact on this varied and special planet.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx I really looking forward to volunteering. I'm just itching to get out there now! :D Not sure when they'll get back to me.
I have never seen any wild IRNs, but Ive heard of the 'flock' in WA. Some politician wanted to cull them I think? Not sure. I say let them eat farmers crops! Birds gotta eat. Humans take up too much land! Who are we kill them just because they munch through 'our' crops? Could I be biased? hehe :twisted: It would be a special site to see a wild flock of IRNs. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

good on you for applying hope you get it glad there are people who care :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

alana8819 wrote:good on you for applying hope you get it glad there are people who care :D

I don't think I could phrase it much better; ditto.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay