Question about mutation

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Question about mutation

Post by rick_s0910 »

Its me again :oops: I have a question that might be kinda dumb, but oh well... What is the difference between a Turquosie Blue and a Turquoise Indian Ringneck? (If there is a difference) Also, by looking at the pics in my other post, "Genetic Outcomes" can you tell if my Creamino Cock is Creamino or Creaminoblue? His parents were a Dbl. Factor Creamino Cock and an Albino Hen. I apreciate you all's patience and help.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

TurquoiseBlue will have a lot more green markings.
Judging by the yellow colouration, your Creamino is indeed, a TurquoiseBlue Ino
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thanks Jeremy, you are always of GREAT help.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

There are no dumb questions here. :wink:

Please ask if you dont know. We are in it for the birdie babies :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Jay

Post by Jay »

It's actually a good question. The Turquoise and Turquoiseblue types have been confused quite often even among experienced breeders.

In IRNs, there are two common color mutations in the Blue-locus, namely Blue and Turquoise. A third blue allele, Aqua, is very rare. The Turquoise mutation behaves dominantly in the blue series of IRNs. This means that it only takes one Turquoise gene to display the Turquoise coloration. If the bird possesses two Turquoise genes, then it's a Double Factor (DF). Note the DF and SF pairings on this website:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... quoise.htm

As a summary, the following genes are present in the autosomal chromosomes:

Blue bird: Xblue Xblue
Turquoiseblue bird: Xturq Xblue
Turquoise bird: Xturq Xturq (AKA Turquoise DF)

The Blue mutation inhibits production of psittacins (yellow/red pigments) on the outer regions of the feather. The Turquoise mutation only partially removes psittacin. Hence it is a partial blue mutation (parblue). Theoretically, a Blue bird will have close to 100% psittacin reduction, a Turquoiseblue 75% reduction, and a Turquoise bird at 50%.

In any of the above color morphs, the remainder(if any) Yellow psittacin pigment reacts with the Blue coloration to produce the color Green. However, none of the above percentages are set in stone. There exists color modifying genes that vary pigment distribution from bird to bird. So it is then possible for a Turquoiseblue bird to be greener than a Turquoise bird and vice versa.

Here's an excellent reference website about the Turquoise mutation.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park ... ge%205.htm

Based on the parents of your Creamino, he is in fact a Creaminoblue. A Creamino will tend to be have more yellow compared to a Creaminoblue since it has more retained psittacins. Note the following genotypes:

Creaminoblue Cockbird: Xturq Xblue, Xino Xino (In general, a Creaminoblue is simply called Creamino, adding to the confusion :lol: ) AKA Turquoiseblue Ino

Creamino Cockbird: Xturq Xturq, Xino Xino AKA Turquoise Ino

Creaminoblue Hen: Xturq Xblue, Xino Y

Creamino Hen: Xturq Xturq, Xino Y

The first pair of chromosomes (Black color) are the autosomal chromosomes. The second pair (Red Color) are the sex-determining chromosomes. Unlike humans, male birds have two sex-determining X chromosomes. Sex-linked genes such as Ino, Cinnamon, Pallid and Opaline are located in the sex-determining chromosomes. Only the X chromosomes can contain genetic data.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Wow, thanks for the info.