Taking her with me...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Taking her with me...

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Yall:

As you know, I have recently became the mother of another Irn. I got Baby (use to be India but I never called her that so whats the point heh) anyway, I digress, when she was 4 weeks old, she is now around 5 months old. Then I have my new girl... Peek-a-Boo who is almost 3 so Baby would have a role model. Worked wonders but that is not why I am writing.

As Peek-a-Boo is much older, sweeter and tamer she and I intend on visiting rest homes to make the elderly a little happier. Here in the US, we use our parents until they are all used up and then throw them in a rest home and forget about them but again, I digress. We live in Florida so I don't have to tell you how high the elderly population is. Or how lonely they are.

Now to why I am posting:

I need advice from anyone, especially those of us like Datsun that take our babies out in public alot. Peek-a-Boo has full flight, which I intend on getting clipped but cant until next month as I will only let one person touch my babies and they are out of town. This makes me very nervous to take her but with a flight suit will she be restrained and safe? I have never actually seen one of these things but I would need one in order to catch her poo and keep her from freaking out and flying off. Oh my God I would die!

She is scheduled for this Sunday as being her first day. As the day approaches, I am getting more worried about her having full flight and as I write this I am realizing I would never take the chance... not even in a flight suit until she is clipped. However, I still need the advice so I can prepare both she and I for her special job.

Preperations I am currently making are: getting a flight suit, her wings clipped and making sure I can get her to speak on command moreso than not. Her asking an ol lady "what ya doin?" or telling her "you're a pretty girl" could make someones entire week.

Blast off folks! Any and all advice is much appreciated. I want this to be a fun, positive experience for both Peek-a-Boo and I. Not a scary, clumsy, unsure experience. If I am fumbling she will too. We work together hehe.
Dani03

FlightSuit

Post by Dani03 »

Hey there. I got my baby a flightsuit adn we are currently working on gettign her used to it. A first she hated it and would take her wrath out on the poor thing. Now she is I guess ok with being in it. She still bites at the straps but is fine once we go outside. She loves car rides. I ended up getting her a cat carrier so she can travel to the vet or anywhere else in that. It takes patience and maybe two flightsuits (ones she might decide to totally destroy) but if Boo trusts you that you aren't going to hurt her then it should be fine. SHe might freak out when you first put it on. After the first few times it gets easier...and don't give up!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I almost bought one today but it didnt come with a leash so I was like "whats the point'? Do they usually come with leashes?
Dani03

Leashes...

Post by Dani03 »

Hi again. I bought mine online so yeah I did come with a lanyard. it is a type of leash...try to website. www.birdiapers.com (I think this is it or look up on google for them)
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

:oops: Well yes you're right Dats comes with me almost everywhere :oops:

Here are my tips....

Datsun is virtually never caged unless I cant supervise, so if Im driving she has to go in her "car seat" a large wire cat carrier which has enough room for her, her food and water dishes, a rope perch (easy to twist to fit perfectly inside) and some toys. Getting put in her car seat is an exciting experience for her she sits in it nods her head and says "hello?" it also means its her safe place when we are in a new environment, if she doesnt know her surroundings well I just walk her inside with the cage.

Datsun LOVES the car, she whistles and chatters the ENTIRE way so whenever we get where we are going she starts off in a good mood!

Datsun also LOVES the sound of her own voice! A recording of her talking will always set her off, in fact she raises her volume to out compete... herself :D Also I find if I ignore her and just talk to someone else she gets pissy and insists on being part of the conversation or stealing the limelight but that ones not so reliable as she sometimes just sits there and listens intently.

Just make it a fun experience and watch Peeks mood, go at her pace... if shes tired after 10 mins cut the trip short, if shes loving it leave while shes still having fun and will remember that for the next week. Im sure they will love her and as she gets to know them she'll form a bond with them and will perform accordingly.
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thanks hun, you are EXACTLY whom I as hoping to receive feedback from as I know you take your birds out often. Thank you so much!
ScarletKnight

flight suits

Post by ScarletKnight »

i never owned a flight suit for irn so i can be wrong on this one. But some manufacture don't inclue leashes with the ir suits go to petsmart and get the lightest smaleld leash you cna fidn and u be fine. I think cat / rodent leashes works best thats what i used to work with tony my friends macaw. good luck
scarlet