babies are due ..

Moderator: Mods

angie

babies are due ..

Post by angie »

in about three days, Mickey and kai's eggs should start hatching. Thats if they are fertile.

I never did get up the guts to handle and candle the eggs. Next season when Mickey is more tame and I have a better more accessable nesting box and area, i will learn to do that.

So fingers crossed I will be a grandparront soon :D .. First time and very nervous/excited.
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

my fingers and toes are crossed for you! please keep us up to date on hatching progress! I hope you have healthy little fids by this time next week!

I can't believe it is time for the eggs to hatch already...
angie

Post by angie »

I will be spending most of my time anxiously watching and waiting and if it happens I will try and get as many pics as they will let me without disturbing them too much.

Even if they are not fertile this season (probably because of how quickly they got into it and the fact that kai is tame and clipped and she is wild and flighted, plus they are both young first timers) it will have been great experience for them for next season. I know they are a keen breeding pair. They have done everything down pat so far.

I watched kai feeding her through the nesting hole today, her little head peeking out, and them making lovey noises at each other. Such a good little expectant couple.

:D
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Now I have a question Angie and please don't get offended cause that's not what it's meant for...but why did you decide to let them breed? Over here in the US we have a HUGE parrot population and many great birds don't have homes. I for one am totally against breeding for profit...and 'hobby' breeding but to each their own.

I am one who would rather rescue a parrot in need than purchase a baby...it's my morals and principles I guess

Just curious is all

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

keep us posted on the progress! I would be a nervous wreck...
mutantninja

Post by mutantninja »

Angie,

I hope it all works out for you, however you need to be comfortable handling the eggs and checking them say about ten/twelve days after the third egg has been laid. The hen will sit on the third egg, hold the egg up to the sunlight you can easly tell if the egg is clear or if it's dark and solid. If the eggs are clear throw them out and the cock bird should put the hen down again. I normally put 3 to 4 inches of saw dust in the bottom of the box and the hen bird will do the rest fixing up her nest. Also when the young ones are born I have a good supply of corn on the cob placed on a three inch nail in the aviary for the hen to feed the chicks with.

good luck
Jim
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

mutantninja:

I appreciare any and all help you give in regards to breeding. Please feel free to advise in any way you find helpful.

I made the conscience decision NOT to educate myself in regards to breeding because too many parrots are already homeless and I would end up not being able to let go.

If I learned more... I would be forced to try it and I dont want to do that.
~ Mikaela Sky

Ed Loschi

Get that nest full of big fat Irn chicks!

Post by Ed Loschi »

You go Angie.
I got a feeling...and it is that you're gonna get a whole nest full of big fat Irn chicks.
The best part is, after the hatch you get to vacation in Florida and your kids get to take care of the fids.
HAHAHEHE.
angie

Post by angie »

*Giggle* thanks ed. Can't wait for Florida, especially hugging my little American God Son, miss him terribly and he is talking now 3 years old.

mutantninja thanks for the info I'll take it onboard. I will use it next season IF I let them breed again .. IF I have people that want the babies first up. (I am up for a green baby to keep for myself one day anyway :wink: now kai is more taken by mickey than me).

Dani03 wrote:Now I have a question Angie and please don't get offended cause that's not what it's meant for...but why did you decide to let them breed? Over here in the US we have a HUGE parrot population and many great birds don't have homes. I for one am totally against breeding for profit...and 'hobby' breeding but to each their own.

I am one who would rather rescue a parrot in need than purchase a baby...it's my morals and principles I guess

Just curious is all

Dani

When I rescued the pair that turned out to be two girls, my boy kai fell head over heals, being an aviary 11 month old bird when I got him he always had a slight wild streak to him although very tame aswell, I just knew he had to experience being with a mate.

I knew already that I had more people that want a tame baby than I would ever have eggs for in this season, so I knew to start with that people wanted the birds.

I wanted to learn as much about these Birds as I can and breeding is a big part of understanding Indian Ringnecks and their behaviour, personalities, strengths and weaknesses. I have learnt so much about them in such a short time that I never would have otherwise. It gives you such a big appreciation of how amazing they are.

I am not a pro breeder and most babies will be given to family and friends only one will be sold if there are enough or if they even hatch. The young girl across the road adores JOrdan and desperately wants to move on from budgies. So If all goes well I have her geared up to come over during days to help me hand feed her very own baby.

So summing up.. its all for the experience and all birds will be placed with loving families. No profit just love and fun and the experience.

Also In Australia its rare to come across a parrot that is just given away or isn't wanted. Unless I have just not come across the homeless parrot sites.

Cheers !
angie

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Yea, I think u said it all, its about knowing more about these birds, and if they want to breed it is cruel not to let them, its like saying to someone u cant have a baby, hey how many children in the world starve don’t have food or clean water, if the parents want to have children and are eager to do so than hey were not God we should not stop nature. We should treat them with the same respect a new married couple who want a child. (I do however see your point on this topic) :wink:
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

angie

Post by angie »

Bryan ! :D <action> runs over grabs her internet son and gives him a huge *hug* nice to see you darling :D
angie

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I am sorry...but me being in the place where I am...I just don't see justifying breeding...

I suppose in AUS it's different but if you take a look at http://www.mickaboo.org you will see that this is just the parrot rescue in my area (and note that is not all the fosters they have...they only have room to post those few)

So many parrots go unwanted here...to the idea of letting them 'just breed' for the owner to learn information is pretty sad and irresponsible here where millions of perfectly good adults are out there needing homes. Back Yard breeders are a big cause of this problem. You will never see how many parrots get thrown into the basement or the attic or the garage for their noise...or how many get rehomed over and over...parrots get the worst treament of all our 'pets' because they get can't get away should their gaurdian decide they have no feelings towards that animal

Sorry...I'll step off my soap box now *giggle* but I will forever have the attitude of 'Don't buy or breed...ADOPT'

Dani
Jade

Post by Jade »

I have parrots breeding too at the moment. Here in Aus there just aren't as many birds available. Australia is unfortunately, a bit behind with the birds for friends thing. If you want a pet, you have to of course educate yourself first (which is what I get prospective buyers to do and i also tell them the downside to ownership) and if they are serious then all is good. Most of our pet shops that sell birds, sell older birds that are usually damaged in some way (physically or psychologically).

Honestly, I have found (i don't know about other Aussies) that if you want a good quality bird, you have to go and look at private aviaries. It is rare to find a good bird at a pet shop, especially when most pet shop owners have no clue about birds and just keep them to generate sales.

We also do not have hardly anyone give away birds. There are no parrot rescue societies apart from the RSPCA which take in all animals and are flooded with sad cases (although not many parrots at all). Birds are not hugely in demand pets over here so we do not have the same sort of problem of people dumping them. Because you have to buy the birds, you USUALLY find that the people buying them are not willing to throw away their investment.

Sorry, just had to jump in, and no, not to cause trouble, just to let you all know that its a bit different here in Australia.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Yea, I have before looked to adopt, but there is more dogs and cats than birds. Dani03 I understand exactly what u mean and applaud you for it. But here in Aus we don’t even have to think about it. Jade I agree with you (as always) on the best birds u have to go to a private dealer this is exactly right. :wink:
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

You know Bryan...I bet we here in the US could say the same thing about 10-15 years ago...but not anymore. I hope you guys can keep an eye on your populations and not over breed. Mistakes happen but it's too bad the birds had to pay

Dani