Ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Ringnecks

Post by Jeremy »

They are 8 months old now, I have really grown attatched to them over the past 7 months and wish i could keep all 3 but unfortunately i must sell them. I have been offered a trade for a pair of Green Quakers so will probably take them.
I should have more baby Ringnecks in the coming months, nestboxes go in in about 2 weeks.

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

OMG!

A Grey!?

Why oh why did I click this link.

Jeremy... I'll um like kiss you or something... mow your yard all summer... lets work something out man... want the grey. BADLY. :shock:

I'll even clean ya nasty ol aviaries awwwwwww summer. -giggle-

I have made up my mind that Im not getting my cockatoo anytime soon (waiting for him to take sons place when he moves out. He is still here and I suffer empty nest just because he CAN leave now).

However, I am moving forth with getting a female grey for Baby to play with and perhaps they will mate once (no interest in breeding, attach too easily)

What ya get out of a Green male and a Grey female? Green? :lol:

Does the grey come from blue?

No question is a stupid question! Only stupid people dont ask them, thereby remaining stupid. :wink:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

aww my gawd!!! <action> melts for those babies ..

Jeremy no wonder you got attached. boyo boy. so cute It brings a little tear to my eye.

Hey while I think of it can I ask you something about behaviour.. ?

Kai is pretty much a definate on being male 19 months old and I reckon Jordan too (nine months old), classic displays of male dancing and prancing, hoping and pinning.

Now Jordan and Kai, have tolerated each other for the past nine months with kai always pushing Jordan off and away, taking king pin spot.

Lately though .. Jordan has been hoping around kai with his shoulders out, and kai mostly just watches him, then suddenly I notice that Jordan seems to be feeding kai, they will do what looks like a kiss, kai lowers his head and turns on a side and jordan will arch up over him and (kiss) or like he is feeding kai.

I will try and get some footage, but from that description , do you now what this behaviour display is ? Is Jordan Kai's little lacky, getting him food ??? or Is this becoming friends thing, coz they kinda really seem to be getting along rather well, each taking a shouler on hubby and leaving each other be.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby does that to Peaches too (the tiel). When he wants to play and be nice to her.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh my gawd those are adorable! So cute! And I too am in love with that gray!

Dani Prinny Bodi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have made up my mind... I AM getting another ringneck baby but it must be a DNA'ed female. Or wouldnt two males get along better?

Either way... it'll be DNA'ed. No more surprises. Sure took Baby for a girl. Still catch myself always saying 'she'.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

No way to know until that ring coems in Mik. I've seen fully adult females flaring and displaying all the qualities of being a male. One even looked like a young bird but was 10 years old! She was flaring and pinning and dancing all like a full grown male does. DNA or waiting it sucks either way :wink:

Dani Prinnt Bodi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

agreed lol
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Imagine me Mik...I have an albino so I would NEVER know...so when I took her into her vet visit the vet gave me a discount on a DNA for her so I had it done...

Dani Prinny Bodi
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

LOL, thats exactly what I was going to say Dani...

Just be glad Baby isnt albino. ;)

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Lord have mercy, as neurotic as I am that would LITERALLY drive me in sane, the not knowing and NEVER knowing.

I too would have to DNA an albino lol.

Waiting the 2 yrs to be positive is actually starting to get to me. All signs point to male but Baby just seems like 'my baby girl' and probably always will, even when the ring comes on.

Hell, assuming it even does!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

LOL Oh well...I didn't care...Prinny's my baby. I am happy that atleast her name matches...(MIND you I did NOT name her Princess...the breeder did and it fit her :roll: )

Dani Prinny Bodi
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Not quite, she is a Turquoise Cinnamon Grey.
A Grey is a GreyGreen Blue so it does come from Blue Mik.

Green x Grey
=Green/Blue
=Greygreen/Blue

Angie, it is coming into the breeding season now so Kai and Jordan will be displaying a lot more than normal. It sounds like Kai is taking the femine role :lol: Jordan is taking the dominant male role hence the feeding etc. It is quite normal for 2 Male's to do this, during the breeding season, the Cocks in adjoining aviaries usually try to feed each other through the wire :roll:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thankyou !! Jeremy :D

check out the video anyway:-

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid ... ime=165025

Excuse the mess of coal on the drop mat. I hadn't run the Vac yet.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

See Jeremy that's why you're our expert on breeding. Wow your posts just leave my mouth hanging open...

Dani Prinny Bodi
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Ok Jeremy,
Now I'm going to have to fly into Australia and put dark glasses on and try to smuggle these babies out of the country. And if they won't let me smuggle them then the seeing eye bird plan will go into action. Think I could pass them off as that? They are so stinkin' cute. I would love to take them off your hands. Esp. that grey baby. So gorgeous.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

All of our conditions have only gotten worse... now we are stealing to get a bird fix.

Its time to accept our addiction and try to control it

*peeks out the window, looking for the men in the white suits*

:lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I don't have a bird addiction...*blushes and eyes open wide* uh oh I think I'm in denile...

Ok ok ok so I might have a slight bird problem... :P *secretly thinking of joining Jen and making off with them birds*

Dani Prinny Bodi
jaie

Post by jaie »

Mikaela wrote:What ya get out of a Green male and a Grey female? Green? :lol:

Does the grey come from blue?

No question is a stupid question! Only stupid people dont ask them, thereby remaining stupid. :wink:

Grey is a Dominant color. It is one of only a couple mutations that can match with Green and produce other distinctive visual colors besides the normal Green. The other would be the costly and rare Violet.

Grey does not come from Blue but it is widely considered a Blue series bird. Grey however carries two Blue genes on two if its chromosomes so it is possible to get Blue offsprings from Grey. For example, if you mate Blue and Grey together, 50% of the babies will be Blue and 50% will be Grey.

As with any Dominant mutation, it can come as a double factor, meaning a bird can carry two Grey genes.

Back to your question, when mating a Green male and a Grey female, the following babies are possible.

50% Grey-Green split Blue (looks like Olive)
50% Green split Blue

Hope that wasn't too confusing. :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thanks hun:

Think I am just going to get a DNA'ed male. For his ring. Might sound bad but its my choice to own males simply because of the ring. Nothing wrong with that.

My cash, my bird. I prefer Males for other reasons too but the ring is a definate plus. Anyone that disagreed would be lyin' to themselves.

Come on people... we want the ring, no secret, nothing to be ashamed of... Im just the only one that will admit it. :lol:

Oh and Imran lol

Then I think... what if Baby wasnt mine now because of a stupid DNA test. The coolest bird I have ever met, I would have forsaken, perhaps. So it sure is a catch 22.

What Im saying is... I know MY ANIMALS at first sight. I either fall head over heels or it isnt the one for me. So, I talk a big game but would come home with the gray baby that felt right to me, truth be told.

I either overly bond or I dont at all.... no in between. Which is why we have Peaches now and Chief has a new home. He and I never bonded. He was like a stuffed animal, which is great for the woman he went to. Not so great for me though.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

yep .. of course we hope to get what we want and I admit I really wanted a boy.

I chose Kai because he came to me and gently nibbled at me and kept coming back to me, the only one to do that. And my son picked Jordan because it snuggle straight on up to him and started begging for food while the others looked scared and tried to get away.

But I really hoped for a boy with both of them. I think IF i decided to take on another one, which I wouldn't i would definately be gunnin for a girl.

No harm in wanting that , we do the same with our human babies. .. Two Girls, would love! to have a boy, but if I don't get one.. I will still love the child just as much, but a boy would ROCK! same thing right !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Its good we can talk about this honestly.

Some, me included, get ruffled when I think about someone getting one sex and not wanting it after they realize it isnt a boy. That hurts me.

If you cant love it regardless, please DNA it first. I didnt care one bit if my Baby ever spoke, had a ring or heck a wing for that matter. That was MY Baby and I knew it and wouldnt trade her for the world.

Noone knows what they would do until put in that position but I honest to God DO NOT believe in my heart I would sell Baby... not even for a million dollars. You have no idea how much I mean that... money cant buy you happiness but my best friend feels me with it!
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I got a DNA'd Hen, because I wanted a girl. Red rings just dont do it for me I'm afraid.
When I choose a bird without knowing it usually always ends up being a boy lol.
julie

Post by julie »

we were told indie was a girl but it didnt really bother me what sex indie was because i fell in love with him at the pet shop and felt pretty special when the lady told me that he wouldnt let anyone else touch him but me(until aaron met him)then he got the ring and i really like his ring.but we have no idea what sex cookie is and have been told the only way to know is dna test.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Dani03 wrote:I don't have a bird addiction...*blushes and eyes open wide* uh oh I think I'm in denile...
you are steeling birds from Egypt ? do they have IRN's there ? :shock:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

we had a big bird sale on here on the 27.5. and aaron wouldnt let me go he said no more birds :twisted: i dont think it would be very appropriate to write what he was told.now he says if i get more birds they have to be outside.he also said why dont i join a bird club so i can talk to other bird nuts.he also pointed out im always playing with my babies tiffany included,but my babies dont talk back to me like people do.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Egypt...uhhh...I dunno...*grabs hair* So confused now... :P

Oh well they say admitting it is the first step to recovery

*stands*

My name is Dani and I have a bird problem

*Sits*

Dani Prinny Bodi
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

My name is Jen and I too have a bird problem!

*sits next to Dani and holds her hand

NEXT......
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*takes Jen's hand, trying not to get bitten by Byndi...gives Remmers a good pat on the head and whistles to Milo*

Wow...that was hard but I feel better :wink:

*snickers*

Dani Prinny Bodi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My name is Mikaela and I too have a bird problem.

I have never been in a 12 step program but this addiction has made me romance the idea or going to different countries and stealing birds.

I am powerless over my addiction and can only hope it doesnt get me into trouble.

*sits and takes Dani and Jens hand*

Me? A theif? Its gotten out of control. I have my eye on a 'too that had better have a good lock on that cage. You know who you are!

I didnt mean for this to happen... I only tried it once. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Ayuen

Post by Ayuen »

So the babies are gone?
And here i was hoping to get a hand raised one because my baby is gone.
:(