Anybody seen this weird IRN behavior?

Moderator: Mods

LAAnnie

Anybody seen this weird IRN behavior?

Post by LAAnnie »

I wonder if other IRN owners have seen this: my female, Pretty Girl, does this strange thing where she "goes into a trance". Her irises contract to pinpoints, she crouches down & does sort of a chicken dance with her wings, and she clucks & coos. During this "trance" she seems to like being petted & having her head scratched. It lasts about 3 minutes, then suddenly she wakes up, all pissed off! If you are petting her when she wakes up, look out!

Funny, she only does this with certain people (not with me, unfortunately). It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen, the bird is like hypnotized.
katraz

bird dance

Post by katraz »

my friends IRN also does this weird dance in front of the mirror, someone told me that its a birds war dance. Well thats about all i know sorry.
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Our lovebird did that (now passed away)! It was so sweet! I'm not sure what it is though,but i've heard of a disease (only existing in the US as far as I know) which is called "Bird Nerve Damage"or something in that line, which has these effects. And it's a disease, not a gene problem. I'd talk to the vet or an experienced breeder if I were you.

The reason our lovebird did this was because she sought attention. She usually did it in the night, and then we'd rush up to her trying to find out what was wrong. It is perfectly normal then.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

i had an IRN that was bold due to a vitamin deficiency and she would do the same thing and talk at the same time if i petted her on the head but she never bit me. now im not completly sure but i think its how the females sumit to thier mates during the mating season.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

my cockatoo and grey's used to do that...it's a mating dance. my male IRN also does something simular, puts his head down and his wings flutter around and he bobs back and forth.