Finally!...My very own IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Lisa

Finally!...My very own IRN

Post by Lisa »

After helping my kid brother with canaries, lovebirds and cockateils for years, I have finally got a bird of my own, and the one I've wanted for ages, an Indian Ringneck.
I just got 'Billy' yesterday. Not 100% sure on his age, somewhere between 3 and 5 yrs of age. But he's just beautiful. :D
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

Glad to hear Lisa,l to have had Canaries and currently own cockatiels but found when Lielow(passed away) and Mylo Ringnecks came to my life it was somthing special :D
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I am a little worried about Billy if anyone has some advice. He came from an aviary of 8 IRN's and has never been handled. Should I be trying to hold him each day? He doesn't seem to want to attack, which is good so far, but I haven't really tried to handle him. I have lots of toys for him to play with and try to talk heaps to him when I'm at home. Because he is between 3-5 yrs of age, how long should I expect before he starts talking? I read on here that someone let their IRN out of the cage to be free to go in and out, I am worried Billy won't go back in. Plus I have 2 cats who think that Billy is their dinner, but they are learning slowly.
He doesn't appear to eat much. I give him seed and fresh fruit and veges and he has nibbled at some of it but not much. I don't think he has touched the seed, yet he was being fed seed in the aviary. He also seems to not be drinking at all. Is there anything I can do to encourage him to drink?
Lynne Watts

Re:finally a new IRN

Post by Lynne Watts »

At that age it might be difficult to hand tame, but because he's a male, it might be a bit easier than a female. At least that's what my vet told me. I have a 7 year old hen that was 5 when I got her and she follows me around and calls for me when i leave the room, but bites me when I try to handle her. I love her just the way she is. Be very careful with your bird around the cats. Cat saliva can be deadly to a bird even if there's no injury invovled. Make sure you are around when the cat is around and your bird is out. Or put the cat away during playtime with the bird. The cats may just learn to ignore the bird after a while.
I'm sure your bird is eating and drinking. When I got my baby IRN I was possitive he hadn't drank any water for days as I hadn't seen him and the water dish was always so clean at the end of the day, but one morning we woke up and he was drinking away. If you're using a water bottle instead of a bowl then you have to make sure he knows how to use it or give him water out of a bowl.
Good luck hand taming. Go slow with your movements and start out offering him millet through the cage so he learns your hands are not bad. He will be quiet at first while getting used to his new surroundings. He's been used to being around 7 other IRN and now he's by himself, so it must be strange for him. Spend lots of time in the same room with him talking to him so he doesn't feel lonely. You don't have to leave him out all the time if he's not used to that. You can have play time for a few hours or more each day supervised. The birds will generally go back in their cage on thier own by the time they want to take a nap or roost for the night so don't worry about that.
Lynne
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks Lynne. I do have a water bowl for Billy and I guess he is drinking. He doesn't want me to see him drinking and eating, so I have to be very sneaky to catch him! I have decided to start letting my cats outside for the day so that Billy doesn't have to feel closed into 1 room. But the cats are starting to ignore him most of the time now which is good. He is a lot more vocal today, making all sorts of noises, which is great. We're also taking a trip to the Vet today to have his wing clipped. But the greatest thing is the timing of getting Billy as I am going to be home quite a lot over at least the next two weeks as I have study week and exams, and while I hope to get work at the Vet Clinic over the holidays (studying vet nursing!) I will still be home a bit then as I probably won't be working all day every day. :D
katraz

training

Post by katraz »

If u want to train u'r bird u should start off with the "step up" command..
Just use a stick and hold it against the birds chest and the bird should step up automaticly
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is SO true. I was able to teach my 8 week old IRN 'step up' in ONE DAY! It is less tramatic for both she and I to get her in and out of the cage. She is a mean little hen with an attitude but she has a sweet side that makes up for it. Grrr, really tired of sore fingers though.