Clipping bird's nails

Moderator: Mods

Kokkewiet

Clipping bird's nails

Post by Kokkewiet »

Hi all,

I would just like some advice. My IRN;s nails are very long. When my IRN is sitting on my shoulder, his nails stick to my shirt.
I would like to know, how to I clip the nails or file the nails without hurting my IRN?

I got so many advice on how to clip my IRN's nails, but my IRN got hurt once, and I also get feel pain when my IRN feels pain.

ANYONE GOT ADVICE FOR ME????????????? :(
darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

Well, I towel my birds, have my hubby hold them, then grab a foot, spread their little toes apart, and just clip the sharp edges off. My birds HATE this, and sometimes they'll squawk to try and get me to stop. I know I'm not hurting them, but they'll do anything to try and convince me otherwise.

We try and do this about once a month so they don't get too long.
Rena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have the breeder do it... my nerves cant take it.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I was able to do Remmi's not too long ago. I had to towel him as well. And he tried to bite the snot out of John, but John held tight and I just clipped the VERY TIP off. You have to be sooooooooooo very careful not to hit the qwik or it will BLEED and really hurt your baby. Also your baby could bleed to death if you don't get the bleeding stopped immediately! Do you have a vet or the breeder that you could take your baby to if you can't or don't want to do this? That's what I'm going to have to do with my babies wings. Which they're getting way too long now. Remmi's having the time of his life gliding thru the house. Anyway, those are my suggestions.

Jen
red192

Post by red192 »

I too need to clip Scarley's talons! OUCH! What's the best thing to use? Regular clippers, baby nail clippers or what? I've never had to do this!
Terri & Geoff
and all 16 FIDS
julie

Post by julie »

we got special nail scissors from the pet shop they have a kinda grove in the end part specially for birds toe nails.
[img]http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=60363&cdate=20030605[/img]
red192

Post by red192 »

Thanks Julie for that. I wasn't sure what to use....it's like her talons (that's what i call em) just thought they'd grow over night!
Terri & Geoff
and all 16 FIDS
Ed Loschi

Owners must be capable and confident enough to groom.

Post by Ed Loschi »

The tool that Julie showed is perfect in size and shape for all Irn grooming needs: beak, feathers, and nails.
I have one just like it.
But first I was shown how to properly hold and clip my bird by an avian vet during a well bird visit.
I have a friend who has been able to get his Macaw to raise up its foot to be nail clipped. The Macaw knows what is going on and trusts that the clipping will be done competently and confidently by his human pal.
I strongly believe that pet owners must be capable and confident enough to groom their pets...all their pets--maybe an exception for horse shoeing!
fiona

Post by fiona »

I've noticed that those rough perches(not sure who makes them, but they are not wood and are brightly colored) help a lot with wearing down birds nails.