IRNS outside in Canada

Moderator: Mods

Angelface

IRNS outside in Canada

Post by Angelface »

my two IRNS are driving me insane lately with their screaming, they are abused birds so i understand their screaming! but I'm moving into a smaller townhouse and I was given an offer I can't refuse on it, and unfortuantly due to their constant screaming they won't be allowed in. So they are going to a zoo! they will have an aviary the size of my house (no joke!!) they will have lots of things to do and play with. and the good thing is I can go visit them any time :D I will miss the little devils but it will be the better for both of them due to they are not really tame.
Any tips for keeping them happy while in an outdoor aviary? plus it's Canada...so it does get cold in the winter! They will have an indoor/outdoor area, plus heat so that I don't worry about...but what about other things? like trees/plants they like.

Cheers!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Angelface:

You truly are an angel. I am so proud of you for the responsible way you handled your situation.

I respect you and your decision very much. They will be very happy.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

Yes, they will be happy :) I really wish I could keep them though, because even though they are not the tamest, and I'm really unable to handle them, they are wonderful company!!! Now it's up to me to design their cage at the zoo :) they are allowed real trees, plants, and I get to pick what type of housing they have etc. I'm thrilled about this!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ahhhh, they would have been alot tamer alone. Get two ringnecks together and they want little to do with people.

They are gonna be soooo happy!
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Some birds just ARENT people birds.. I'm not a very social person.. Does that mean all people are anti-social? no. So dont feel bad that they go to an aviary. They have bird friends around them all the time and they feel safer in a flock than alone in your home. They have the freedom to fly and yeah it gets a bit cold but they have shelter from it so. It sounds great to me.

Now you can tell the difference between a bird that wants to be with YOU and a bird that wants to be with other BIRDS. I put my sunnies out in an aviary for a few days. They screamed whenever they heard me, They flew down to the wire where I was and I could touch them. THOSE birds I felt guilty about leaving in that situation.

On the other hand I hand raised some Indian ringnecks. Some wanted to land on me and eat from my hand and some didnt. The ones that didnt went into an aviary. The ones that did stayed.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

I don't feel bad they are going to an aviary :) it's bigger than anything I could ever provide them (at least in the near future)
and they came as a pair, I haven't bought a bird in 10 years, only rescues...these two were badly abused and neglected...that is why they are so anti-social and afraid of people. it took me a year before the male trusted me, and the female is JUST coming around now.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

well it turns out that one isn't going to the aviary!! a photographer I met in town has the male and adores him! bongo is being spoiled rotten and is becoming a little star! he goes grocery shopping, to electronic stores and petstores :) I'm glad the two are getting along famously!

I'm not sure what's going on with Ravi!! seems like the outdoor aviary won't happen anytime soon :( i'm dissapointed in that, but at least bongo is happy!! I was able to touch Ravi for the first time in ages without having to use a towel though...so that is improvement. who knows...maybe she will yet turn out to be a nice bird! I'm hoping hubby won't mind me keeping her awhile longer ;)