Hi and help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Patricia

Hi and help

Post by Patricia »

Hi my name is Pat....I am a new IRN owner, my baby is 6-7 months old :D .... can someone help......I have owned a ringneck now for 2 weeks and he still flaps madly when I enter his cage to change his food and water .....I spend hours thoughout the day just sitting next to his cage talking to him , not bothering him ...just sit talking to him . Is there anything else I can do plz help... I so want him to be settled
Donovan

Re: Hi and help

Post by Donovan »

can you give him treats by hand through the bars?

If so then start giving the treat closer to the cage opening. eventually opening the door just enough to slip the treat through.

if you can't give him treats by hand then work on that... stick a treat into the bars and let him come after it... then next time have your hand a little closer... then next time a little closer again. keep doing that until he's comfortable with collecting the treat while your hand is very near. Then give him the treat by hand.

Once he's used to that, and if he's still freaking out when you reach into the cage, the refer to step 1

Could try a bigger cage
could try just slowing down a bit
could try holding his food bowl while he eats from it
InTheAir

Re: Hi and help

Post by InTheAir »