Hello from Saskatchatoon!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Shiko

Hello from Saskatchatoon!

Post by Shiko »

Hi everyone :)

I've been a lurker on this forum for sometime prior to obtaining my IRN Shiko. My name is Chantal and I'm from Canada :) On Friday I finally welcomed my new baby boy into my little flock of me, my boyfriend, and my green cheeked conure Avery. He's very well socialized and a sweet heart, but he won't let us touch him, which is a bit upsetting after hearing from the breeder for nearly two months about how she could touch him from head to tail, how her six year old could touch him, and how those who bought from her clutches would come visit and handle him. I guess I feel a bit lied to, but I also know that I can't rush him in his new environment and need to be patient and work with a lot of positive reinforcement.

I've been training him for the past couple of days with touching and the like. He's perfect at stepping up onto a step up rope, but apprehensive of stepping up onto hands. It's not like he won't, he gladly will if there's a treat, but he's definitely not too keen on being near hands and yet wants to be all over us. It's a tad confusing! Part of me think a lot of it is bluffing, but I'm not sure hence why I'm here. So I'll be reading lots and hopefully learning lots about how I can progress my new relationship with Shiko!

Thanks everyone for being awesome! :D

PS. I heard you like pictures :wink:
Attachments
Hurray for foot toys!
Hurray for foot toys!
0F7D0FF9-896D-4EC3-8EF6-45E153E0D592_zps9yk8ofq7.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Dang I'm so cute!
Dang I'm so cute!
Avery's first birthday
Avery's first birthday
Avery at One Year Old.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 760 times
The popcorn thief!
The popcorn thief!
Avery the Popcorn Thief.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 760 times
AJPeter

Re: Hello from Saskatchatoon!

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo from Birmigham uk nice photos thank you
MissK

Re: Hello from Saskatchatoon!

Post by MissK »

Hi and welcome! Not sure how I missed this earlier. Must have been distracted by all the spam.

You heard right - I *love* pictures! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice looking bird buds you have there.
And yes, Hurray for Foot Toys! :mrgreen:

Regarding your touching dilemma, possible the bird is just cautious due to the change in environment? Maybe going to relax soon, when he settles in?
-MissK