How do I tame a 5year old Ira I adopted

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Dlmcwilliams

How do I tame a 5year old Ira I adopted

Post by Dlmcwilliams »

Hello, I joined this site because I just recently adopted a rescued ring neck female. She is very shy and untamed. I also own a well behaved jenday conure and a very talkative cockatiel. My question is, what is the best way to go about taming my Ira she is 5years old and at one time plucked herself clean but has grown all her feathers back. But she is not hand trained and I'm unsure of why she plucked herself, my guess is out of boredom. She is a very smart bird that I would love to introduce to the other birds.
AJPeter

Re: How do I tame a 5year old Ira I adopted

Post by AJPeter »

Where did you get this 5 year old ring neck? Feather plucking could be a mites try researching this forum but we need more information.
Dlmcwilliams

Post by Dlmcwilliams »

The Plucking is no longer a concern since we've had her. We adopted her from a young girl who rescued her from an over populated aviary and nursed her back to health. However she was never able to hand train her and lost time for her birds so we adopted sweetpea. She takes treats from inside her cage but bluffs when I put my arm in the cage. My main question is would it be ok to introduce my conure to her to see if she will see that i mean no harm in hopes to get her out of her cage to fly again, and join in on family activities.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think you would have to gain the trust and confidence of Sweetpea before you started to introduce new birds to her.