Advice Needed to Tame Two Cage Bound IRNs

Moderator: Mods

Elifberkel

Advice Needed to Tame Two Cage Bound IRNs

Post by Elifberkel »

Hello All,
We are 2 teachers of a second grade class in Dubai and have recently rescued 2 IRNs from a pet shop where they had spent their entire lives in a tiny cage. We were told that they were about 2 years old and had never been handled. Murdock (we think he is a boy) is very curious, happy to be hand fed but also is very nippy. He really bites to damage. He is extremely intelligent and has already started mimicking us. He is very talkative and has stepped out of the cage today and let me pet him a little bit with some signs of fear and nippiness and dilating eyes. Charlie, not sure if it is a boy or a girl is missing her full tail and is very shy and hides away avoiding any kind of contact with us.
We have placed their cage on the balcony of our room where they enjoy the lovely breeze and daylight.
We are in desperate need of some tips on how we can give these intelligent creatures a second chance in life. Can we tame them? If so, where to start?
Thank you, thank you, thank you:-)
Elif
Donovan

Re: Advice Needed to Tame Two Cage Bound IRNs

Post by Donovan »

Taming an indian ringneck is more of a negotiation than anything. Every aspect is a baby step.

imagine explaining to someone how to open a car door.. you can't just say pull the handle.. you have to explain to extend your elbow.. open your fingers.. hook them into the door, then pull slightly with your shoulder and forearm until you hear a click.. then push while holding the handle out.

Taming a bird is much like this. Every little thing has to be taken slowly by the tiniest step possible.

I assume these birds cannot fly since you are able to pet the male.
What color are they?.. in most ringneck colors the male will develop a pin stripe across his throat.. hence the 'ringneck' name.

Indian ringnecks tend to not like being petted. You said you can pet the one you think is a male?.. He may tolerate this because he can't fly and can't escape so he just deals with it. Anytime he is touched you should immediately give him a special treat.. a peanut or a piece of apple or something. (keep it small so he doesn't fill up on treats)

If the birds won't take treats from your fingers... then you need to determine what the most irresistible treat is... then hold it to the bird while ignoring him/her. You would have to hold your hand there a long time while they work up the courage to come take the treat. Once they do it they'll gain confidence and do it more readily later. Expect to hold the treat up for a very long time.. and it may not even work the first time.... but eventually it will

Now, once the birds are accustomed to taking treats... they'll take the treat happily and with anticipation.. at this time you can hold the treat out a bit.. make them kinda stretch to reach it.. do that a few times. Then you can hold up another finger between the bird and the treat so he has to step onto your finger to take the treat. .. do this several times.. and often....

at some point, try holding your finger to the bird without having a treat in your other hand.. stick it under his chest and nudge upward slightly and he should step up onto your finger if he's decided he's not scared of you.... get the birds used to being on fingers and eventually they'll just understand the routine and likely be able to get on the fingers of the school kids...

As far as petting goes.. i can't give you that information... i have a single indian ringneck who flies to me, plays hide and seek, and plays fetch... but i can't pet him..

Anyway... even if i have told you things that somehow don't apply to your birds you can still take the general idea and apply it for your desired result.

You have to train each aspect of taming. Like with opening the car door. I said to first extend your elbow. Okay when the bird does this you give them a treat for doing it and praise them with a sweet voice and the occasional modest level of excitement. Opening the door: extending the elbow and opening the fingers... okay, treat again for opening the fingers and focus on that activity for a while... With this step by step method you could probably teach a bird to hold out one wing to the side, cock his head overy, and say "olay!"

Hope this helps.. sorry it's so long winded.