Helooooooo

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

P James

Helooooooo

Post by P James »

Hi everyone

I just wanted to say heloooooo to everyone I hope to be able to contribute as much as possible and share my experience as well as enjoy hearing yours

I am from the uk and have one ringneck green less than one year old so still unsure of gender
Donovan

Re: Helooooooo

Post by Donovan »

What's your bird's name?

My bird's name is Bell. He's male, but when I got him (supposedly 6 months old) I didn't know he was male so I had to go with a sort of gender-neutral name.

My IRN had obviously been worked with before I got him because it only took 2 or 3 tries to get him to step up onto my finger. I have no idea how long he was in that nasty little pet nshop I found him in which has since been shut down.

Anyway I've had (in my mind) great success with my bird. I can't pet him but i have trained him to play fetch, hide and seek, and for a short time he could identify the 'red ball' or the 'green ball'. He lost those balls so I haven't been able to follow up on that.

My experience is that he is full of energy and very naughty. If he thinks he can get away with something he will try.
One example is that I love cajun flavored boiled peanuts which are loaded with salt. I have them several times a week. About once a month I let him have a piece of one as a special treat. The rest of the time he swarms my head and harasses the mess out of me while I'm eating them. If I leave the room or turn my back on him he'll steal one.
He knows what he's doing, and he knows he's being sneaky and naughty.

At the end of the day they're extremely intelligent birds mixed with a high energy level. A lot of fun when you're in the mood for them. If you're not in the mood for them then you have to -make- yourself be in the mood for them because from now until the day they die they will be high-energy birds that require/demand a significant amount of interaction.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ahm, Donovan? He didn't lose those balls. HE HID THEM!
:lol:

P-James, welcome to the forum. I know you will find a lot more here than you expected. How about you tell us about your bird, how he came into your life, what you like best about him so far? :)
-MissK
P James

Post by P James »

Cheers for the replies

Yea we called out ringneck Rango for the same reason

I wanted to call him Alan but the kids thought better lol

We have been thinking about getting a parrot / parakeet for a while know and wanted the younger children to be old enough to treat them right ,

There are all sorts of advise and thoughts from many people who keep birds but we have just done what we think is right for our ringneck and so far ours has been excellent .

It a different story everyday and we have loads already . I'm sure over a longer period of time it will gain even more trust

Just watching them learn how to eat a monkey nut was so funny from dropping the shell to losing the nuts when it was open to finally understand that he / she has claws aswell to hold stuff took 3days of passing nuts untill he worked it out

With 6 people leaving In the house there is always someone here with him and talking and keeping him busy , there has been days were our ringneck was tired of our noise and went back into the cage to have a rest