two IRN 4months

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

syed101

two IRN 4months

Post by syed101 »

hello i just got my two IRNs male/female they where originaly from a aviery im just a bit concerened of how they panic and flatter around. so i decided to let them settle and try get used to me i bought them a new cage at first they where not eating or drinking when i introduced them to a new cage they decided to eat and drink they still panic when i go close to the cage i try talk so dont panic them out how long will they fully settle? and also the wings are not clipped was thinking letting them out after a week some help would be awesome thank you
barkha alisha

Re: two IRN 4months

Post by barkha alisha »

your going at right way but i recommand you to not get them out untill they trust you fully or clipp their wings its ok after a moult they will regrow their wings by that time they will fully trust you or else teach `em recall trainig :D
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

This worked for me and I haven't clipped my birds wings http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... l-parrots/
My bird is very confident and flies to me when called now.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Syed,

I advise against clipping the wings because it may lead your birds to have more fear and less confidence - imagine how you would feel if you were trapped by a scary giant monster and your shoes were tied together so you could not run away. Would you be in the mood to relax?

It is also unwise to put training your birds on a time table. Everyone, including animals, learns at their own pace. This is not a cake you're baking.

It would be worthwhile to check out the link posted by InTheAir - she has been very successful training her first IRN and is now working with her second.

I most strongly advise spending time in the room with your birds, keeping far away enough so they won't panic. Just do normal boring things so they can observe you over time. Approach gently from time to time and leave a very good treat in their bowl. It would be best (for your purpose) to cage your birds separately. Do research taming on this forum using the SEARCH feature.
-MissK