lost flight feathers

Moderator: Mods

JEZ Parrots

lost flight feathers

Post by JEZ Parrots »

Hi, everyone. I bought a few ringnecks in April this year, but one of them can't fly. They were in the same cage, from the same breeder, and all looked healthy. Now I've had them for some months, but even in the big flight cage he hasn't grown them back and needs to climb everywhere. Could he grow them back when he molts, or will he never be able to fly? I just don't know what to do, please help with some advice if you can! Thanks
ellieelectrons

Re: lost flight feathers

Post by ellieelectrons »

Do you know if his wings were clipped? If they were, usually wing clippings will grow back during the moult. However, if they were clipped too aggressively it is possible that they will not grow back. Avian vets can also perform a procedure known as imping. I think it of as feather extensions for birds. They take the feathers from other birds and somehow attach them to their existing feathers which can enable them to fly. Others will know more about the process than me.

Ellie.
JEZ Parrots

Post by JEZ Parrots »

Thankyou so much for your assistance! The wings were definately not clipped as he was sold, along with four other birds, for breeding and all of them fly about easily. They are all very skittish and fly about like crazy whenever I enter the aviary (which is just to change their food and water). Here are pics of his wings
Attachments
Left wing
Left wing
IMG-20131015-01238.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Right wing
Right wing
IMG-20131015-01240.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is he/she possibly being attacked by any of the other birds? You said the bird looked healthy when you you first got it. Did this happen in the few months since you've had the bird? How big is their aviary? Are all the males and females in together? Is it breeding season in your area? Have you noticed the bird over preening or chewing on his/her own feathers?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JEZ Parrots

Post by JEZ Parrots »

The bird was like this when I got him, these 5 younger birds are in the same aviary, twice as big as the ones that I house pairs in (about 3m by 2m). Yes, they do annoy each other, but it's mainly their tails that get shortened here and there, but never plucked. There is no definate "picking on 1 bird". Breeding season has just about ended, and he hasn't been over-preening, he's always just relaxing on the perches or sharing food with the others (who usually flock around him).I just don't see why all the others can fly and he can't.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Well as molossus has suggested, it may be something to get tested by a vet. Molting season is just around the corner for you and he should molt out the old and bring in all new flights. If it doesn't improve after molting season, or if he still can not fly, you may look at improper fledging as the cause.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I can't speak for any potential viral theories, but my guess is that the feathers will eventually come out proper.

I got my bird at 6 months old. Wings were clipped pretty short. I bet I had him 8 months before he could fly
JEZ Parrots

Post by JEZ Parrots »

Thanks again for everyone's assistance, I really appreciate it. I have isolated the bird for the last 2 days. Though he isn't fond of the much smaller cage, he is at least calm and gets about easily. If he doesn't show signs of improvement soon, I will take him to the vet, as everyone who's seen the bird agrees that he's healthy and just needs a bit more time (until the molt) to recover.