Biting ?

Moderator: Mods

Madhuri

Biting ?

Post by Madhuri »

I have been reading some or many of the post here, and i can see many have problems with biting. Is that something in general they do also when the bluffing period is over? Is that general behavior for Ringnecks ?
MissK

Re: Biting ?

Post by MissK »

Flight is the Ringneck's first method of self defense. Biting is the second. These birds are cautious by nature, and wary, especially, of being touched. If the bird is not confident about the situation, he may well bite. He bites in a different way to assess the surroundings and objects (and people) therein.

Sometimes the "bite" is simply an action of placing the beak on something, sometimes it is a little harder, sometimes a small nip, sometimes a real bite, sometimes a very big and painful bite, sometimes a bite and hold. It can be hard to know just what people mean when they say "bite", given that there are so many different ways a bird could do it.

I personally believe that the best way to prevent a bite is to not provoke one in the first place, and for me this goes as far as not clipping wings. After all, if the bird cannot employ his first method of self defense, that just leaves the second. I also feel it is beneficial, if the bird does go to bite, to prevent the bite from happening by withdrawing or blocking. I strongly suspect that biting is self reinforcing, and so should not be let to happen.

Some birds bite a lot, and some hardly ever. I think the reasons are as varied as the birds themselves, but I think quite a lot of it is due to either insufficient taming, fear, territoriality, hormones, environment, and inappropriate handling (from the bird's perspective). Inappropriate handling would include human mistakes in timing, failure to read bird body language properly, asking too much too soon, etc. That is my opinion.
-MissK
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Thank you MissK.
I understand what you say., And i would never wing clip any of my birds ever. I just wonderd. so many i have talked to have told me they just love this breed and will never have another, and that does not goes hand in hand with a general bird that bite. And with that i mean nippy., . i know there is difference between bite and bite, sorry i didnt make myself claer in the question :oops: but understand what you say.

So i am still hanging on to the thought i really want a little friend myself. I am going to see a breeder maybe Sunday, and am so looking forward to it. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That is a very good assessment MissK.

Too often the term bluffing is thrown around as an excuse for an IRN biting, when in reality it is something that we are doing that is upsetting them to the point of that fight or flight instinct kicking in. Sometimes the behavior is something obvious we can see, other times it is something we have to determine with some thought and observation. I know from reading another of your threads that you do not clip. Bravo for that. So if your bird is nipping or biting there are various reasons for it. I urge you to think of the most recent episode of a bite you received and remember every little detail of events leading up to it. It may help you realize a trigger. Reading our birds body language is key to understanding their behaviors. If you begin to recognize what could potentially turn into a bite, you can react with something that could distract your bird from what he was about to do and move on. :D

Edit...our posts came in at the same time. Sorry lol
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Madhuri, I meant that when you read that others say the bird bites, that is where it might not be clear what they mean by "bite". You were perfectly clear, yourself. :D
-MissK
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

LOL thank you MissK and Skye_crew.

I do a lot of reading languge on my little Meyers , and it helps me a lot.., i have done that with all my birds. And i love when i can read them and aviod unfortunte behavior. it makes me happy and also i can see they are less vary of me when i also act in a calm way.

i am also glad to hear that there is all those reasons for the biting issue, that is just not an unfriendly bird type. I still love both the size and all the colors and the videos i have seen are so cute, that i wondered what to belive. I still belive this is a lovely little bird and am not discuraged to get one one day.

Its a great page to get to learn about these beautiful birds. Thank you :D

PS.. I miss a heart over at all the grinning faces .. LOL
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I wish this forum had a like button some times!
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

:D LIKE :wink:
komodo

Post by komodo »

One day your pleasant and happy bird becomes a evil little demon who tries to bite your fingers off, This is bluffing. Bluffing is cause by hormonal changes within the bird. Bird adolescence would probability a better terminology. This stage can lasts for a couple of days, weeks or months. the stage depends on the bird. The main thing is to keep training your bird daily. If you keep the training up you will get your pleasant and happy bird back. Ringnecks can become wild in a short amount of time if not handle daily.

Wild parrots rarely bite each other because they convey their feelings beforehand or fly off to avoid physical contact. Your bird rarely has a need to bite and will only do so if it is frightened or threaten. This may result in your bird being more protective of itself and it's surroundings.
The (re-homed) female eclectus parrot I had was a biter and she took chunks of skin and flesh. Yet she would sit next to you on the T-perch without a problem. So every time she bit someone we all left the room. Solitarily confinement as such. Within three days she was sitting on my chest and I was rubbing her cheeks until she went to sleep. She didn't like being alone and soon realised that she had a choice, bite and be alone or not bite and get her cheeks rubbed. The people that I got her off, had given up on her. Unfortunely she escaped and I never saw her again.
There is one story I would like to share. I read this on a parrot rescue website. A family brought a hand raise male Alexandrine Parakeet and everything was going fine until the bird reach 14 months old. Then Bluffing kick in and they couldn't go near him, so they took the easily way out. The bird didn't receive any human contact and training. so the bird starting screaming in boredom and frustration. so this family than excelled in the birds treatment. they put the bird in the basement where it stayed for six months. the only time this bird saw anyone was when it was feed and watered. When they decided to surrender the bird, it was insane from boredom and frustration. But there was a happy ending for this bird it was re-homed. The hero manage to re-train the bird within six months and it became a happy and cheerful bird.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Thank you for your comment Komodo.

I am glad to hear training can help that issue . I am going to visit a breeder tomorrow. Hopefully. I am looking so much forward to it :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Madhuri: Our Nila skipped that bluffing thing, thankfully. He's never been a biter, he likes to warn people by growling and we have reinforced this behaviour. He is probably one of the most easy going ringnecks in the world though.
I have been trying to figure out this bluffing idea and was researching it this week.
I copied the humans actions of a 'bluffing' video I saw the other day and nila threatened to bite me on no uncertain terms. The beginning of the video was of a bird preening and the human poked their finger at it. That was as far as I was prepared to go for an experiment, I prefer to respect that Nila has other things to do sometimes and I like that he knows that a warning is enough to tell us when we are inconveniencing him. The video I got that idea from was a few minutes long.
We don't really come across that situation in a normal day. If we want to step Nila up when he is preening we talk to him first, when he acknowledges us we ask him to step up...it works for us and doesnt even take long.

A healthy bird should bite when it is cornered and threatened. It is normal. A flighted pet has more opportunities to avoid the situation, so may bite less.

That's my 2 cents
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Hey InTheAir

it sound really nice with your bird. Actually i have read some more into it aswell, and the more i think about it i wish they would not write so warningly about it. Cause then you might expect it to happen and maybe even provoke to it with out want to.

my little Meyers was soo cute. and one day he sat on my arm and the he flew directly to my face and bit hole in my lip. and the he just kept attacking me. I have to admit i got actually really afraid and of him. And for a while i took him out i didnt trust him and he wathced me like a hawk. and when he could he attacked me. But i kept taking him out doing a bit clicker training and with time he has become loving little bird again. he is not even a year and not mature yet. And i dont know if there is anythign called Bluffing according to Meyers. but now i know what can happen i guess i know a bit what to look for behaviour like.
:D
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

The more I read about bluffing the more I liken it to teenagers behaviour going through adolescence. They are growing up and wanting to be their own person/bird and to do what they want not nescessarily what we want so then they begin to rebel a but to see what they can get away with. Whilst it's a thousand times more difficult to ignore the teenagers behaviour we must try with our birds as any kind of reaction, good or bad can reinforce it. To make matters worse birds don't understand punishments, you can try taking their mobile phone(lol) away but what is this going to achieve? Nothing! They will still bite you, and so will some birds. Haha!

I think it's always important to remember when going through this pretty miserable stage is that it's just that-a stage. We have decades with our lovely IRNs and the period will pass eventually unless the behaviour has been reinforced or the bird gets left in its cage with no human interaction.

If you get an IRN you must be prepared to invest your time in it to bring up a well behaved bird, much like human babies. As the saying goes, a dog/bird/human is not just for christmas, it's for life.

Loo :)
Loo :)
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Well said Doodlebug and i agree with every word :) :D
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

@ Madhuri I think your English may actually be better than mine and it is my only langauge. Lol!

Information about bluffing sometimes seems to be used as excuse for some people to justify incorrect handling, but if a bird does have a genuine bluffing stage that information would be lifeline.

I am really interested in whether modern training and keeping styles for parrots that are becoming more popular like flighted, conciousness of what may be provoking a reaction and postive reinforcement affects or reduces the bluffing stage.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Hey InTheAir
Thank you so much :D

what you write here, would you explain that to me, as i am not sure exactly what you mean? What does " Keeping styles " mean , and " becommeing more popular likee flighted"?

I am really interested in whether modern training and keeping styles for parrots that are becoming more popular like flighted, conciousness of what may be provoking a reaction and postive reinforcement affects or reduces the bluffing stage.[/quote]

After My Meyers had attacked me. It was like he was testing me. he could sit and stare at me and the fly up and take a little but hard bite at my neck , then he stared a me again to see if i reacted, which i did, becaues it was painful and then he started like a little jumbo jet flying at my face and hair and such very agressive,
I got him into the cage. I dont belive actually that it is a good "punishment " to be put in the cage, But if i hadnt done it there would be holes all over me. And he is just a small birdy. now i can take him out no problem. i can see when he starts gets in the attacking moods.. or are preparing for it., so i take a busquit and return him to his cage where he get a reward. and i leave him there . some days he can only be out a few minutes at a time i can see right away if he in bad mood. if so i leave him to his things and i wait to take him out. Other times he is sweet and like to interact and play and have fun , and he will have longer out time.

his mood is getting better at better and i think its because i have learnd to read him and i end the contact before he starts geting really angry. ( or what you call it ) so we part friends and he get a treat in the cage as he always do . and i can take him out again later.

If i get angry hurt he gets more aggressive. thats what i have learnd. I think that goes for many parrots acutally. I also see it as teen- thing as komodo mention. the just try at see how much they can get away withy it, but if you stop the game before it gets too bad. they can learn to stop too. i think the thing is to get to know your bird, so to avoid conflicts as much as possible.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Madhuri, what I mean by that is that where I live a lot of animal keeping practises have changed a lot, especially in the last 20 or so years, perhaps a bit longer. I wasn't interested in birds when I was younger, just horse and dog training.
From what I have heard about parrot keeping it is evolving away from punishment based technique which were very popular, like spraying the bird with water as punishment. There are still many people who do this now, but it seems to be on the decline.
Clipping one wing to stop a bird flying used to be very normal. Now it is most commonly advised that both wings should be clipped evenly. Having a flighted pet is more acceptable.
People now want bigger cages for their birds and foraging is getting more popular.
Positive reinforcement training is more widespread. People are learning to look for the reasons that the bird bit them now, instead of blaming the bird.
That kind of thing...

Have you seen this website http://www.behaviorworks.org/htm/downloads_toolkit.html ?
I really like it.
komodo

Post by komodo »

I feel, that the training goals at the basic level, are like this.

The human encourages wanted / good behaviour in their parrot by positive reward / positive reinforcement.
EXAMPLE: Human wants parrot to steps up onto finger, this is wanted / good behaviour.
Human gives parrot a treat for stepping up, this is a positive reward / positive reinforcement.= GOAL.

The human discourages unwanted / bad behaviour in their parrot by negative reward / negative reinforcement.
EXAMPLE: human wants parrot to steps up onto finger. but the parrot fails to step up, this is unwanted / bad Behaviour.
The human doesn't give the parrot a treat for failure to step up, this is negative reward / negative reinforcement. = GOAL.

At times the human without realising encourages unwanted / bad behaviour in their parrot with positive reward / positive reinforcement.
EXAMPLE: The human doesn't want the parrot to scream, this is unwanted / bad behaviour.
The human screams back at screaming parrot and parrot screams back. this is a positive reward / positive reinforcement.
Parrots communicated by screaming and squawking, so the parrot see this as a positive reward / positive reinforcement = NO GOAL.

At times the human encourages wanted / good behaviour but without realising, negative reward / negative reinforcement.
EXAMPLE: human wants parrot to steps up onto finger, this is wanted / good behaviour.
The human doesn't give the parrot a treat for stepping up, this is negative reward / negative reinforcement. = NO GOAL.

Remember every interaction with your parrot is a training session so think, which of the following will my parrot interpret this training session.

Realising and encouraging = wanted / good behaviour + positive reward / positive reinforcement. = goal
Realising and discouraging = unwanted / bad behaviour + negative reward / negative reinforcement. = goal
Not realising and encouraging = unwanted / bad behaviour + positive reward / positive reinforcement. = no goal
Realising and encouraging = wanted / good behaviour + not realising negative reward / negative reinforcement.= no goal

There are many types of examples and scenarios with training. work out your training session to achieve your goals.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

InTheAir. Thank you now i understand your :) thank you for explaining. Yes it good that people get more interested in making a better life for birds, and start trying to understand thier beahviour.

I was also a dog/horse person when i was younger, stil am a dog person and still thinkl horses are amazing creatures but i have no horse :)

And you are right , birds cannot be trained in the same way dogs and horses can., Some can be used but birds dont understand punishment, and there is no long term fix with punishing your bird. As many i am sure wil agree on .

Komodo.. I agree.. Positive renforsment is the best kind of training. I try and avoid negative reinforsment when training birds.. I ignore unwanted behaviour, and praise and reward right behaviour .

Good news is i was visiting the breeder today. he was very nice older man. The avairies were really well kept. nice and clean, fresh water , the birds looked healthy and happy. he had 3 couple of ringnecks. yellow , blue and green. They only breed once a year, if they want., as he say,, he wanted the girls to bea able to enjoy the summer and sun too. He was a really nice man that loved his birds. we agred he will contact me when he gets chicks :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Madhuri: that's great that you found a breeder!
Out of curiosity, how are aviary birds kept during winter in your country?
Where I am living it gets very hot over summer, but is never very cold in winter.

Dog training and horse training is also changing a lot. I haven't got either anymore though as I live in the suburbs now. :( we are lucky enough to have a few interesting wild birds that nest and hang out in our yard. And some possums which arent at all tame but don't run away if you are a couple metres away.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

I am not an expert in aviaries , but most aviary birds have acces to both outside and inside doing the winter. There is a heated area inside where there are food and water and maybe nests if breeding, and then a whole they can go out. Birds have to get used to the weather here because its gets prety cold in winter sometimes. S o you cannot take an indoor bird and decide in the fall to make it an out door bird. cause it wont have time to put enouhg warm warm feather and downs or fat on to keep warm in winter. You have to take them out early summer when its about 20 degrees celcious ( about 68 farentheit.) so they dont get too cold. But then if it is healty birds they normally is fine. If its too cold or bad weather birds choose to go in the heated area and wait it out.