What birds do Indian Ringnecks get along with?

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Re: What birds do Indian Ringnecks get along with?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi rritoch

Can you confirm what you mean by co-habitate? Do you mean live in the same cage? From my understanding, there are rare cases where IRNs will live in the same cage with other species but these are few and far between.

I do some work with some Alexandrines. There are a pair of IRNs in the same room although the Alex's and the IRNs have their own cages. They don't fight when they are out of the cage but they also leave each other to their own devices. They don't really interact at all.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Re: What birds do Indian Ringnecks get along with?

Post by Skyes_crew »

Here is a list of my indoor flock. They have their own room and most often are let out to play at the same time;

2 IRN's
1 Sun Conure
1 Alexandrine
2 Cockatiels
1 Bare Eyed Cockatoo
1 Umbrella Cockatoo

I also have an additional IRN I am fostering right now

At no time do I leave my larger birds alone with my smaller birds. They have shown that they can play well in the same room together. But we are talking about large birds with huge wingspans and powerful beaks that could turn hormonal on smaller birds that would be snapped in half in a heartbeat. It would take constant supervision on your part to maintain both small species and large species. Africans while a bit smaller, have a higher rate of attacking smaller birds. They can take sometimes up to 15 years to level out hormonally. They require a lot of attention and supervision. Umbrellas are more docile, very loving, and very family oriented. But they too require a lot of attention otherwise they turn to screaming, feather picking, and mutilation. Just some things to think about :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D